DON'T FORGET, it is your responsibility to find time to finish your blog each week. If you are going to be gone, look ahead and find time to work on it. At home, computer lab, before school, AR, lunch break, after school, etc. DON'T FORGET!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care History (Blog #29)

Whether you agree or disagree with the Health Care Bill, one can not deny the historical significance of Sunday's Health Care vote. With the nation divided on the future effectivness of this Health Care legislation, one can only gather information and form their own opinion. This assignment will ask you to look at three different new organization representing the political spectrum from left to right, and decide for yourself. (Click on each link below)


*MSNBC*

*CNN*

*FOX NEWS*


Your Assignment:

1) What are some beneficial components of the Health Care Bill. (Be as specific as possible bringing up at least 3 benefits)

2) What are some negative components of the Health Care Bill. (Be as specific as possible bringing up at least 3 problems)

3) Form your own opinion about the passage of the Health Care Bill. Then comment on two of your classmates posts and reply. (**Remember posting rules apply and will be enforced**)


Due: Sunday 2/28/10 by no later than 11:59pm

32 comments:

  1. Passing of those subsequent fixes was a critical component to passage of the Senate bill for House Democrats.

    Without them, House Democrats would have been supporting a bill with elements deemed largely undesirable. A promise by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that the Senate would work to approve the package of fixes coaxed "yes" votes from many Democratic lawmakers who had previously indicated they might oppose the Senate bill.

    Any reconciliation package that does get sent to the Senate is facing a block -- or at least a delay -- from Senate Republicans who will try to use "hundreds" of amendments to stop the fixes.

    "We're not going to try to drag this out forever with amendments, but I do think it's important to try to amend some portions of the bill and at least use the amendment process to demonstrate to the American people some of the things that are still wrong with this bill," said Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One benifit of the health care bill is that coverage will expand to 95 percent of legal residents. The bill will also give 19 million to uninsured Americans. It will also help with many hospital monopolies that are occuring in rural towns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The health-care overhaul will change the way millions of Americans get health insurance and require nearly everyone to have health insurance or face penalties. A number of factors - including income, age, location and family size - will determine how it specifically impacts your life. This tool estimates what it could mean for your health coverage and taxes based on your income, family size and current insurance status.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/what-health-bill-means-for-you/?hpid=topnews

    It will increase the national debt and many americans cannot afford healh care now and the premiums will go through the roof.

    In my opinion health care is a great thing. But this bill involves too much spending. Also the insurace companies will take advantage of this and they will raise the premiums until noone can afford it. I propose that the government sets prices and doesnt allow the insurance companies to create monopolies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Accroding to cnn.com, "coverage will expand to cover nearly 95 percent of legal U.S. residents. With a recent study showing that patients without health insurance have a shorter life span, coupled with the number of uninsured approaching 50 million in 2010, that is perhaps the biggest reason to cheer."

    But newly insured patients may have nowhere to turn for medical care. Despite having the highest concentration of doctors nationwide, Massachusetts, suffers from some of the worst primary care wait times in the country.

    I think that the Health Care bill will ultimately help us. I want it not only to improve the plight of injured patients, bout to also ensure that the millions of newly insured have access to quality primary care. Everyone deserves to have it, and i think the health care is a good way, even if it does fund abortion and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.) It will make people who don't have health insurance have it. They think it will let people live longer. The hospitals won't be in debt nearly as much.

    2.) Some people will not be able to pay for the insurance. It could squeeze company profits and add costs. Some people don't like it so they might not even pay for it and get fined.

    3.) I think it has its goods and bads. Personally i don't like it cause it is telling people that they absolutely have to have health insurance. I think it is unconstitutional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with keith that it is very costly.

    I also agree with scott that it is important to amend some portions of the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The positives of Health Care is that hospitals won't have as much debt. Every person will be issued a national ID health card. The health care bill will also ban doctors from owning stock in health care companies. Mandates an audit of all employers that self-insure.

    There are so many negatives to this bill that if I put everything negative in this blog people would be reading this for a very long time. A government will decide what benefits and treatments that a person can get. That means if someone is dying of cancer their life is in the government's hands. The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer as found on www.naturalnews.com. No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No "judicial review" is permitted against the government monopoly. Put simply, private insurers iwll be crushed.

    I think that the health care bill is not very good and it should not have passed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Robert, that the health care bill is not very good and it should not have passed.

    I also agree with scott that it is important to amend some portions of the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1.) It will make people who don't have health insurance have it. They think it will help people live longer. Then hospitals won't be in debt nearly as much.

    2.) Some people will not be able to pay for the insurance. It could squeeze company profits and add costs. Some people might not even pay for it and get fined.

    3.) I think it could be good and bad. I think it is telling people that they have to have health insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a positive affect of the bill is that hopefully health insurance will be cheaper cause due to many people that can pay there insurance cause companies to raise prices so they can get there money back and that companies will not be allowed to drop a customer due to post conditions and prone to conditions.

    a negative side affect is will those who cant pay insurance be able to afford the higher taxes.

    Trisha H you have a valid fact that makes the health care bill acceptable

    i agree with scott that i think this bill could cover to many problems and has to much control. the bill is over a thousand pages long

    ReplyDelete
  11. some negative things the new healthcare bill will do is increase our national debt, increase premium rates, and force more people into the lower class of America.
    I think the initial idea of the bill was good but the negatives outway the positives and I think it in the long run it will turn out hurting more than helping.
    I agree with Keith that healthcare is a good thing, and I agree with Scott that the bill needs to be amended to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One good thing about the plan is that it extends to about 95% of the U.S. population. Two is that we finally have an almost-universal coverage. Three is that everyone will be issused a national heath ID card.
    However, the premiums later effecting from this bill would be very high. Not everyone would be able to afford it. The national debt would grow unneccesarily. These are some negatives of the bill.
    I think that health care is neccessary, but this bill just plain sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The health-care overhaul will change the way millions of Americans get health insurance and require nearly everyone to have health insurance or face penalties. A number of factors - including income, age, location and family size - will determine how it specifically impacts your life. This tool estimates what it could mean for your health coverage and taxes based on your income, family size and current insurance status.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/what-health-bill-means-for-you/?hpid=topnews.

    But newly insured patients may have nowhere to turn for medical care. Despite having the highest concentration of doctors nationwide, Massachusetts, suffers from some of the worst primary care wait times in the country.

    I think it has its goods and bads. Personally i don't like it cause it is telling people that they absolutely have to have health insurance. I think it is unconstitutional.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you stephen. Health care is neccessary, but this bill does suck.
    I agree with you KBG. This bill is taking way to much money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ON: Keith

    I also agree that heath care is a good thing, and that this bill has too mush spending. I also agree on the insurance company thing, but its too late for the monopolies, that has already happened, they are just using different companies to not say it is under one name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I disagree with Chelsea about what she said about health care. The government is going to issue everyone health care, but the government is also going to be able to decide who is going to be treated. This can also be called a form of population control that the government is going to implement. The government is also going to take ONE TRILLION dollars out of medicaid for old people. Mr. Hinman was right when he said we are living in history. We are living in the history of one of the most corrupt presidency's and congress men and women that there have ever been in the history of the United States. The government is also going to be able to decide how much coverage a person can get.

    These are five of many freedoms that everyone will lose: freedom to choose what's in your plan, freedom for healthy living, freedom to choose a high deductible, freedom to keep our existing plans, and the freedom to choose which doctor we want.

    I also disagree with Keith when he says that health care reform is going to be a great thing, but I do agree with what he said about it is going to spend way too much. Like he said the people who can't afford health care now how are they going to pay for it when they are required to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Three Beneficial componets of the Health Care Bill: 1.) Safeguard students from future cuts in their grants.
    2.) Coverage will expand to cover nearly 95 percent of legal U.S. residents.
    3.) By 2014, according to the Congressional Budget Office, this bill will give 19 million uninsured Americans subsidies averaging $6,000 to help pay premiums and other medical charges.

    Three negative componets:
    1.) Doctors and hospitals are going to be paid less for services. Forty-six cents out of every dollar spent on medicine is paid for by you the taxpayers.
    2.) For those who have health insurance, you are in all probability going to pay more and get less. The American public is getting a tax increase -- and not just the rich ($200,000 is defined as rich). The so-called "Cadillac" health insurance plans will be taxed, and there are a variety of other taxes on businesses that will undoubtedly be passed on to consumers.
    3.) Health reform gives few solutions to alleviate the bureaucratic obstacles and time pressures that frustrate doctors and impede their relationship with patients.

    I do not like the health care bill at all. My mom is on medicare and its the only way we can afford all her medication and test and if they are going to use the money from medicare we wont be able to get her the stuff she needs. So to me i strongly dislike this bill.

    I agree with austin when he says that telling people they do not have health insurance is wrong. I also agree with robert this bill should not have been passed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ON: Robert

    I agree that the negatives of this bill way outnumber the positives. And as much as you are suppossed to trust your government, I don't. So I also agree with you that putting your life in the Government's hands isn't too smart, most definently when America preaches having an Iron Fist for Justice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. The passing of subsequent fixes.

    2. The costs of health care.

    3. I don't really like this bill because it is costing people tons of money.

    I agree with Austin and Keith, it is costly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1) Some benefits are it will help with the hospitals. People who don't have health insurence have it. Will expand 95% of legal residents.

    2) Many cant aford health care because some people dont have enough money. It could add cost to different businesses. The governmen will be incontrol of you if your sick, the government will have complet controll over what happens.

    3) I think that this health care is a bad thing. It consist of costing alot of money that people dont have. I also dont like it that they are forcing you to have to have it.

    I agree with Robert that it should not have passed.

    I agree with Austin that its stupid that you HAVE to have health insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1) Three beneficial components to the Health Care Bill are for one coverage will expand to cover nearly 95 percent of legal U.S. Many people who don't have health insurance now have a shorter time in our world because they don't have the medication and care they need. Second it will help the hospitals in need for money because of the cost they need to keep it going. Third it will be able to let people feel as though there is hope.

    2) Some negatives about the Health Bill is it's taking money from the tax paying people even more! We are paying for their Health Care. Second is the economy will be in even more debt than before because the bill is costing money. And thirdly, people may now get fined for NOT paying it.

    3) In my opinion the economy is going to go straight to you know what even more so now. We're already trillions of dollars in debt and this will just make it worse. This will really only benefit the people who didn't and don't have health care. But what about the people who are working and have it? They have to give money to someone that may have money but doesn't bother on getting Health Care. Many people believe the Government is free money, which it's not, we pay for it, it's our money. I think this is one of the stupidest changes Obama has made yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I 100% agree with Robert on ddisagreeing with Chelsea! Way to go Robert Ray!

    I also agree with Britni with them forcing it on us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't agree with the people that say that giving health care to 95 percent of the country is a benefit because that money is going to have to come from somebody and that somebody is going to be us. College students are going to be having to pay 2,000dollars more each year for student loans that they take out. Obama said that he wasn't going to increase the taxes for people that make under 250,000 dollars and he is just a big fat liar. This is just another form of socialism that is not going to work and is going to break this country.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It will help many over millions of poeple. Will help 95% of people in America. It will help people that dont have insurance.

    It will cost USA alot of money. Some people will not be able to pay for the insurance. It could add cost to different businesses.

    I think the health care is good for us because for me americans is really expensive. I know it will cost alot of money as Keith said but something change we need to spend the money. I also agree with Chelsea that it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1.) Make people who don't have health insurance have it. They think it will let people live longer.
    2.) Doctors and hospitals are going to be paid less for services.
    3.) No comment on this whole thing...............Trisha good point with your number drop.......Ty good job with the name drop in yours that is all....PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  26. Health insurance is fundamentally about peace of mind. If you have good
    insurance, you don't have to worry about an accident or sudden illness. You know
    that whatever happens, you and your family will be taken care of. The health care reform was intenionally designed to aid people that were being taken advantage of or denied health insurance. Everything from kids with pre-existing conditions to the elderly. As though it seems there are more negatives than positives in the opinions of others I believe that there are positives to this reform. It is designed to help everyone. Also, to monitor the insurance companies so everything is done correctly. With these positives there are also negatives. Some believe that the government will become to interfered and take away the peoples choice. It seems as though the government is demanding you to need the coverage. This may seem as being very controlling. Another downside is the cost of this. With the demand of health insurance for everyone the cost will increase significanlly. Although there are some immidate results others are long term. In my opinion, I do believe that this reform will work. It is not just going to happen over night. It will require time and the patience for it to come into full effect. President Obama would not have passed this bill if he felt it would hurt our nation and not help the people. I do believe he has a plan and it will work. I agree with Chelsea as she is talking about how it will work. Also I agree with Robert that this reform does seem to have alot more negatives than positives.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The health care bill will change the way thousands and millions and billions Americans get health insurance. Either in a good way or bad way. Good thing is they say people will live longer. One thing i found is that the health care bill will also ban doctors from owning stock in health care companies. Some people believe that the government will become to interfered and take away the peoples choice. Another bad thing is that doctors and hospitals are going to be paid less for services.

    I dont really know what to think about it there are some good things and some bad things So many things have changed in this bill over the past year. iguess it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i agree with keith it does cause too much spending, we are in debti agree with scott

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1.) - coverage will expand to 90% of legal Americans.
    - Forces families to get health care (can be good or bad).
    - Those who dont get health insurance must face penalties .

    2.)-Increases premium rates.
    -Puts more people in poverty.
    - Increases and personal debt.

    3.) Overall i think Obama is trying to do good but i dont think it will help.

    4.) I agre with Keith insurance companies will take advantage of amiericans.

    ReplyDelete
  30. ( MSNBC ) If history is any guide, they are likely to force the House to vote on health care again before Easter. "Anybody that thinks that this is only going to be a one-time deal today in the House, I think, is grossly mistaken."
    ( CNN ) Most Americans agree there are problems with the current health care system, but despite this diagnosis we cannot agree on a cure. Sunday's party-line vote is the latest sign of a divided Washington where concepts like common ground and the common good don't seem to drive political debates. This historic win will be followed by even more discord in D.C.
    I dont like the way the health care went. down the line its going to suck for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totaly agree with stephen and dylan

    ReplyDelete

Remember this is 3 test grade points! Answer the questions fully and completely. 3/3=100%, 2/3=66%, 1/3=33%. Failure to complete blog or a violation of blogging rules will lead to a 0/3=0%. It is your responsibility to complete the blogs sufficiently and on time. Your blog grades are updated on the grade web page. Make sure to check your grades often!