
By and large, World War II did not produce the kind of home-front intolerance that occurred during World War I. One tragic exception was the forced relocation and imprisonment, or internment, of Japanese Americans living on the Pacific coast.
*Japanese Internment*
Your Assignment:
1.) Research the internet to find primary and secondary sources on the Japanese internment. After reading and skimming through, tell briefly what the sources you found were about.
2.) State you thoughts and opinions on the internment of Japanese Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Due: Sunday by no later than 11:59p.m.
1. From what I found on the internet, Japanese kind of enjoyed the internment camps, but they missed their normal lives. But they were technically locked up for how they looked.
ReplyDelete2. I think that locking them up because they were born Japanese was a bit overboard, but we had to be cautious after Pearl Harbor. So in the end, I think that it was the right thing to do.
1.For my primary source they couldnt have matresses and they couldnt go places alone. They were treated like animals. My secondary source says Japanese lived along the Pacific coast of the United States to camps called "War Relocation Camps."
ReplyDelete2. I dont think this was right. I get we were scared and maybe it was the right thing to do. But I think there was lots of other ways to handle it.
1. I watched the link and it gave both primary and secondary sources. I learned that most Japanese Americans were fairly optimistic about the internment. They didn't like being segragated unfairly but were looking forward to the end of the war. Also they were eager to show their own patriotism by joining the war effort. It mainly just told the attitudes of the Japanese Americans.
ReplyDelete2. I understand the hysteria of the American people at the time. I mean it would be scary to have apart of the United States bombed. Somewhat of the same thing happened during 9/11 because almost every muslim became a "terrorist." It was wrong to intern the Japanese American citizens though.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1.) A primary source was the japanese would learn about the war and internment camps in the U.S. A secondary source was an articel "The children of the camps" and it was about how the Japanese children were affected by the camps.
ReplyDelete2.)I think the internment was a good thing. Letting Japanese be citizens of the U.S. would be taking a risk since they attacked us first and they were a threat.
1) I found this website: http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW2/japan_internment_camps.htm
ReplyDeleteIt basically talks about how hard the camps were and some of the hardships Japanese Americans had to endure in the camps. It even has a few quotes from people who lived there.
And then I found this website: http://www.ushistory.org/us/51e.asp
This one starts out talking about anit-Japanese paranoia and then starts to go into what the camps were like. The site also talks about Fred Korematsu who was a Japanese-American who tried to fight the internment in the courts.
2) Now I think it was wrong and unfair, but even if I don't support it I can the reason behind it. It was World War II, people were scared and weren't thinking clearly. I know that in the little video they had a comment about how Japanese Americans were being treated like this and about how citizens of German and Italian decent were not. But that was because the Japanese attacked us by bombing Pearl Harbor. The Germans and Italians didn't attack us at all. Now like I said, I can't condone this internment, because I agree that it was unfair, but, hey, at least they weren't like the concentration camps set up by Germany.
1)i watched the link witch gave both a primary and secondary sources about Japanese internment. spome thing that i founf out that were these japines americans did a lot to help win a war . these people were very optimistic and wanted to win just as basd as any true american did.
ReplyDelete2)it was very wrong to do but they took the proper precosions and did what they thought was right. even though it was to far .
1. The Primary Source was to Clara Breed. It from the Japanese in a internment camp. And it said that she was very sorry that she had to leave, and that she wanted to add to her doll collection. And this person thanked her and told her to stay positive and never give up kind of speech. Secondary I found a picture of a truck loaded with people and on the side it said "California born Japanese citizens LOYAL TO U.S.A" and the truck is a crossing a line that said Military Zone and a sign that said "Out of Harms way."
ReplyDelete2. I understand why we did it, but its not by anymeans right. It taking away a right they have just because of race. We can't get every person who looks like a terroist out of the states. They can't take that right away from them.
1. The primary source was a poster that said if a person was of Japanese ancestry living on the west coast then that person must move. The secondary source described the camps. It talked about how the camps were fenced in and usually in the middle of a desert with scorching temperatures.
ReplyDelete2. I get that the people of the United States were scared, after being bombed. However I think it was slightly over dramatic to intern any person with Japanese ancestry. It was wrong of the U.S to intern all those people who were just as loyal to the country as the next American. It was wrong of Roosevelt to even consider signing that act. It was a very clear violation of civil rights.
1) I read about these two girls who wrote to someone about their life at the camp. She talks about what they do and what it's like. The secondary talked about Pearl Harbor and how the Japanese got treated after it.
ReplyDelete2)I don't think that they should have gone through all that. Even though they were Japanese, it doesn't mean that they had any involvement in the bombing. It was a terrible thing to go through that. Hopefully, in the future, something like this doesn't happen
1. A primary source came from a man named Curtis Munson. He spoke out against the internment of Japanese Americans. He sad,""They have brought up children here, their wealth accumulated by hard labor is here, and many would have become American citizens had they been allowed to do so." Those children, the generation of U.S.-born citizens called Nisei, showed an "eagerness to be Americans." The Japanese people worked hard to be good Americans and we treated them horribly. In a secondary source it talked about the life in the camps. It described the high barbed wire fences and the small living quarters. Many families were shoved into small homes.
ReplyDelete2. The internment of Japanese Americans was sort of a dark time in U.S. history. We treated of a group of people horribly just because of their heritage. We blamed them and punished them for being Japanese. It was not a good time in American history.
1)The sources I found were mostly secondary. They told about how Roosevelt authorized incarcerating many innocent people because of their ancestery without any evidence that they were the cause of anything. One primary source is the Executive Order 9066: Resulting in the Relocation of Japanese(1942). Issued by Roosevelt that authorized the evacuation of all persons deemed to threat national security from the West Coast to relocation centers further inland.
ReplyDelete2)I understand where Roosevelt was coming from with watching his back and watching out for the country but there is a point where you go to far. I belive that the way the Japanese were treated. Just because people of the same race as them made a mistake dosnt mean that all Japanese are the same way.
1- The primary source I found was a letter written in 1942. This letter was wrote to Clara Breed. The woman was talking about dolls quite a bit, she also was telling about the furniture that was provided at the camps. You could tell from the letter that everything they had gotten was pretty worn out. The secondary source is about how the camps were isolated and surrounded by barbed wire fences. They also described the barracks people were moved into being hastly built.
ReplyDelete2- I don't really think that the Japanese should have been treated like this, there are other ways to handle it. This whole situation reminds me of the concentration camps a little bit.
1) The primary source document I found was talking about how the author didn't believe internment was necessary because the Japanese Americans had little communication with their homeland.
ReplyDelete2)I believe that the right thing was done with internment, except the poor living conditions.